Our goal is excellence. We handle personal injury and wrongful death cases, and we pride ourselves on superior results and top-notch client service. We’ve earned nearly two hundred five-star reviews, and we want to keep that up. We want to talk with our clients often, keep them happy, and maximize their recovery in every case that we handle.
To save you the trouble of scrolling down to find it, we’ll tell you up front what we offer. We pay competitive salaries and will give you at least a 15% raise over your current salary. We offer good health insurance, dental and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, and twice-annual performance-based bonuses. We are flexible with working from home. Our paralegals are free to work from home the majority of the time (if they prefer it), although occasional in-person work will be required as in-person trials and other court proceedings resume.
The Butler Law Firm currently has five lawyers, three paralegals, and one Labrador retriever who comes in occasionally. You can learn more about our team here. We are a small firm devoted to a positive office culture and high-quality work on a limited number of cases. Our main office is at 10 Lenox Pointe in Atlanta. We invite you to take a virtual tour of our office, including the upstairs and the downstairs. Our staff hours are 8:30am to 5:30pm, Monday through Friday. Our employee policy is available here.
We handle cases the right way. We are not a volume practice. At any given time, we keep only a handful of cases per lawyer. Those cases tend to involve wrongful death or serious injury, and they are often more complex than two-party automobile collisions. They may involve product liability, roadway maintenance, fraud, or sexual assault. In every case, we represent the harmed person or their family.
For practices like ours, attention to detail is crucial. For instance, when we respond to discovery requests, we think about each response instead of simply copying and pasting from the last case. When it is time to take a deposition, we don’t just use the same outline we used last time. We want to keep our clients happy and maximize our client’s recovery in every case we handle.
We are hiring a full-time paralegal to grow with us in the years to come. The person who fills this role should be motivated, smart, and pleasant to be around. The person we hire should be great at legal work, but willing to pitch in in other areas as well, such as handling intake calls, ordering office supplies, keeping a calendar, or helping with other needs that arise. We want to hire the best person, not just the best resumé.
We are a hardworking firm. We believe that this position presents a great opportunity for the right person, but that person needs to have a strong work ethic and take pride in his or her professional life. It is rare for us to ask a paralegal to stay late or work on a weekend, but that does happen occasionally. We customarily invite the firm’s paralegals to attend trials, hearings, and some depositions.
- > 15% raise over your current salary
- > twice-annual bonuses based on productivity
- > choice of two health insurance options
- > options for vision insurance, dental insurance, and HSA
- > life insurance
- > disability insurance
- > paid vacation time
- > strong organizational skills
- > two or more years legal experience
- > strong written and verbal communication skills
- > ability to think critically
- > ability to work under occasional pressure (such as during trial)
- > attention to detail
- > self-motivated
- > proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- > professional attitude and appearance
- > preparing court filings
- > assist with client intakes
- > setting up and organizing case files
- > drafting routine correspondence and requests
- > sending open records / FOIA requests
- > client contact
- > scanning and OCR’ing
- > receive and process mail and faxes
- > gathering information and evidence
- > calendaring deadlines and reminders
- > gathering medical records and bills
- > drafting medical bill and record summaries
- > preparing demand packages
- > drafting pleadings and discovery
- > assisting with filing cases and following up on service
- > scheduling depositions (including court reporters, videographers, and conference rooms)
- > monitor cases and think about next steps
- > itemizing bills and expenses
- > assessing subrogation, liens, and reimbursement
- > obtaining reductions in claims or bills against client in connection with case
- > closing files
- > managing occasional projects
- > other administrative tasks as needed
If you are interested in joining us, we’d love to speak with you. To apply, download our Paralegal Application (which is not just a recitation of your resumé) here and complete it. (When you click on that link, the Application should be automatically downloaded and may appear at the bottom of your browser window, although you might have to disable any ad- or popup-blocker first). Then send an email to email@example.com. In the body of the email, include 1-2 sentences that tell us the single most important thing we should know about you. Attach to that email:
- > your resumé,
- > any references (preferred but not required),
- > a short writing sample (which can be something you’ve already written), and
- > your completed Application.
We’ll then get back to you and, if appropriate, schedule an interview. We look forward to hearing from you!