Pedestrian accidents in Atlanta can result in serious injuries that generate high medical bills for hospitalization, surgeries, prescription drugs, rehabilitation, and more. Pedestrian accident victims may suffer spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), broken bones, and other catastrophic injuries. Victims often require expensive long-term care and cannot return to work, resulting in lost wages.
Injured pedestrians need a good personal injury lawyer, who will focus on seeking maximum compensation for all their losses. Nothing gets an insurance company’s attention like dealing with an Atlanta pedestrian accident lawyer who is prepared to take a case to court to pursue justice. With that sword hanging over their head, insurance adjusters often become much more willing to settle a claim for a fair sum.
At the Butler Law Firm, our Atlanta pedestrian accident attorneys take only a limited number of pedestrian accident lawsuits each year. Our focus is on quality, not quantity. Unlike some firms that settle claims quickly and cheaply before moving to the next one, our lawyers take time to build a strong case and fight for maximum compensation on behalf of our clients.
If you believe we might be able to help you with your pedestrian accident claim, please get in touch with our pedestrian injury lawyers whenever you are ready to discuss your situation. It costs you nothing to talk to us and have us fully review your case and set out your options and our plan of attack.
- 1 How Our Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Fight for Injured Pedestrians and Families
- 2 Who Is at Fault for a Pedestrian Accident in Atlanta?
- 3 Demanding the Fair Compensation You Deserve After an Atlanta Pedestrian Accident
- 4 Insurance Coverage for Atlanta Pedestrian Accidents
- 5 What to Do If You Are a Pedestrian Hit by a Car in Atlanta
- 6 Talk to an Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Attorney
How Our Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Fight for Injured Pedestrians and Families
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is common for insurance companies to attempt to pin the blame on you. Insurance adjusters often try to argue that the pedestrian was not following traffic laws. They may also say the pedestrian was not paying enough attention.
It may be up to you, the pedestrian accident victim, to provide evidence that disputes the insurance adjuster’s account. The attorneys at the Butler Law Firm can help. We can also handle these important tasks:
- Answer all your questions about the legal process
- Identify all the liable parties
- Prove that the negligent parties were responsible for the pedestrian accident and your injuries.
- Handle all the complex legal matters that come with filing a lawsuit.
- Negotiate for a full and fair settlement on your behalf
- Take your case to trial and represent you in court if a settlement cannot be reached
- Take care of your pedestrian accident case from start to finish, giving you peace of mind
Who Is at Fault for a Pedestrian Accident in Atlanta?
There are many causes of pedestrian accidents. Determining fault for an Atlanta pedestrian accident often hinges on who had the right-of-way – the pedestrian or the vehicle that struck the pedestrian. In many situations, pedestrians have the right-of-way over motor vehicles, according to Georgia law. For example, if a pedestrian is crossing the street in a crosswalk or at an intersection, the pedestrian typically has the right-of-way. However, pedestrians cannot step out into the path of an oncoming car that doesn’t have enough time to stop, even in pedestrian crossings.
In the aftermath of some accidents involving pedestrian injuries, it may not be immediately clear who was at fault. In these situations, it may be necessary to provide evidence that the motorist was speeding, driving at night without lights, driving while distracted, running a red light, or engaged in some other form of negligence.
In cases such as these, crucial evidence may come in the form of surveillance video (many businesses in an urban area like Atlanta have security cameras), dash cam video, eyewitness testimony, recorded statements, or physical evidence at the scene like skid marks and debris, for example. Your attorney can play an important role in securing evidence such as these examples in order to show that you were not to blame for the collision.
Demanding the Fair Compensation You Deserve After an Atlanta Pedestrian Accident
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident and someone else was to blame, you may be entitled to recover damages such as:
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Insurance Coverage for Atlanta Pedestrian Accidents
The at-fault driver’s auto liability insurance is typically the first place to turn for coverage of injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident. However, many drivers carry only the minimum amount of liability coverage required by Georgia law – $25,000. When injuries are severe, as they often are in pedestrian accidents, that insurance coverage can quickly run out.
What happens if the at-fault motorist doesn’t have enough coverage to pay for all your losses? What happens if the at-fault driver doesn’t have any insurance or doesn’t even stop at the scene? Situations like these are when an Atlanta pedestrian accident attorney can really help you by seeking out other potential sources of coverage.
Even though you were a pedestrian at the time of the crash, you still may be able to tap coverage under your auto insurance policy. Your auto insurance may include underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. This can provide additional compensation when the at-fault motorist doesn’t have enough liability insurance to pay your bills.
In cases of an at-fault driver who doesn’t have insurance or a hit-and-run driver, you may be able to secure benefits from your auto policy’s uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. If your UM/UIM coverage still isn’t enough, you may be entitled to additional UM/UIM benefits as a “resident relative” of someone in your household under their auto policy.
These are just a few examples of sources of coverage that may apply in your situation. The attorneys at the Butler Law Firm are committed to seeking out every source of potential insurance coverage for our clients.
What to Do If You Are a Pedestrian Hit by a Car in Atlanta
Many pedestrian accident victims are knocked unconscious when they are struck by a vehicle. Other victims may be conscious but in a daze. If you are conscious after being struck by a vehicle, you will likely be in shock.
Regardless of your accident situation, whenever you can think clearly, take these steps to protect your legal rights.
- Seek medical assistance. If you have sustained injuries in a pedestrian accident in Atlanta, call 911 for immediate medical assistance. Get a full evaluation from a doctor. It is important to be checked by a medical professional if you have been hurt. Some injuries, such as brain injuries, can be slow to exhibit symptoms.
- Gather information. Collect as much information as you can about the party or parties responsible for the accident. If a driver struck you, get the driver’s name, the driver’s license information, insurance information, and the license plate number. Collect the contact information of any witnesses who saw the incident happen.
- Take photographs. Take plenty of pictures of the accident scene from a variety of angles and distances. Get pictures of any details that could be relevant, such as road hazards and traffic signals.
- Call the police. No matter who appears to be at fault or how minor your injuries appear, call the police if they have not already been contacted. An investigation of the pedestrian accident and a police report will support your claim.
- Contact an Atlanta pedestrian accident attorney. Speak with a qualified lawyer who has extensive experience handling pedestrian accident cases in Georgia. The Atlanta pedestrian accident attorneys at Butler Law Firm offer free consultations. You have nothing to lose by discussing your legal options with us. If we take on your case, we will fight tirelessly to secure the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Talk to an Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you believe that the Butler Law Firm might be able to help you after you were seriously injured in a pedestrian accident in Atlanta, we would like to talk with you as soon as you are ready. Our Atlanta personal injury lawyers can discuss your situation and review your options for seeking recovery. It costs you nothing to talk with us, and the consultation comes with no further obligations.