If you've been injured in an accident, your first priority should be getting the medical treatment that your body needs. But if you don't have health insurance, it can be hard to figure out where the money is going to come from.

The first point is that if you're in urgent need of medical treatment, you should go to the emergency room immediately. Get the treatment you need without worrying about the money just yet. Hospitals can't turn you away for urgently-needed treatment under Georgia law.

Second, if you have access to governmental (like Medicare, Medicaid, or TriCare) or private (like Aetna, BCBS, or Humana) health insurance, it's normally best to use it. But if you don't have health insurance or the hospital won't take your insurance since you've been in a car accident, that isn't an option.

If you need medical treatment but there's no other way to pay for it, a third option involves deferred payment to a medical provider. Some doctors or clinics will allow you to defer payment, meaning that they'll give you the medical treatment that you need and let you pay for that treatment later, possibly when your personal injury case is over.

A final option includes private companies that act as ad-hoc, limited-purpose insurance companies. There are some companies who will advance the money that you need to get medical treatment at a variety of different doctors, and then allow you to reimburse them once your car accident case is over.