The number of pedestrian deaths in the US is rising each year. More urban dwellers are walking or riding bicycles to commute. This means opportunities for pedestrian accidents in Atlanta GA will continue to grow. Unfortunately, the statistics are in agreement. The Governors Highway Safety Association reports that the state of Georgia had the 13th highest rate of pedestrian deaths in 2017. The rate of 2.25 per 100,000 population is up from 2016’s rate of 1.99/100,000 population
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Atlanta GA
There are many things that come into play in an accident. Here are some of the more common causes of pedestrian accidents.
- Backing vehicles: This usually occurs in parking lots or driveways when an inattentive driver backs up before making sure the path is clear.
- Careless driving: Speeding, not stopping, and careless turning are often causes of pedestrian accidents.
- Distracted drivers: Texting, talking, and other activities such as eating cause a driver’s inattention.
- Impaired drivers: Drivers may be under the influence of illegal (and sometimes even legal) substances. They may also be suffering from a medical emergency such as a heart attack or stroke.
- Inexperienced drivers: New drivers are often unaware of the traffic rules regarding pedestrians. Their lack of experience can cause them to panic and lose control of their vehicle in an emergency.
- Negligent pedestrians: Pedestrian accidents occur due to the victim’s distraction and inattention to their surroundings. Jaywalking is often cited as a cause of pedestrian accidents in the Atlanta area.
- Insufficient roadways: Georgia’s roads and sidewalks weren’t designed for the increasing amount of foot traffic and bicycles. Pedestrians are often forced to share the way with vehicles.
What To Do If You Or A Loved One Are A Victim
When you or a loved one are a victim of a pedestrian accident, get immediate medical attention. After that, there are several things you should do.
- Get names and contact information of all involved parties, witnesses, and emergency personnel.
- Take photos of the vehicle and any property – including your personal items. Try to include the entire accident scene.
- You should also contact your insurance company.
It is then very important to get proper legal representation. Contact an experienced team like Butler Law Firm. We dedicate ourselves to helping accident victims and their families. Our professionals will make sure you’re getting the care and advice you need. The team guides you through the process from start to finish and beyond.
How We Can Help You After The Accident
There is a 2-year window to file a claim in a pedestrian accident in Atlanta GA. It is crucial to contact a reputable law firm that deals with injury accidents right away. You want a team on your side that has experience dealing with and winning these types of cases. Compensation claims negotiated during a pedestrian accident case in Georgia may include:
- Disability: Compensation includes money to refit the victim’s home to accommodate their new disability. It will also address home health care costs for the present and future.
- Loss of wages: A determination for the loss of wages is made for victims who can’t work as a result of their accident. Potential future earnings are also taken into consideration.
- Medical care: Immediate medical needs are a priority. The potential for future medical care and expenses is also explored.
- Pain and suffering: the physical and mental pain and suffering are both taken into consideration. The physical suffering is usually obvious but the mental trauma may not be immediately visible.
- Property damage: Your belongings damaged in the pedestrian accident are assessed and you will be reimbursed accordingly.
Butler Law Firm believes in producing the highest quality legal work. We are not interested in just offering an easy fix and quick settlement. We take pride in the successful representation of our clients with dignity and honor. Our team will take the time to build your case and get you the best settlement possible. Contact us today and let us help you get your life back in order.