Butler Law Firm is Hiring a Paralegal!
Our goal is excellence, at all times and in all things. We handle personal injury cases, and we pride ourselves on superior results and peerless client service. In our five years in business, we’ve earned over one hundred five-star reviews, and we want to keep that up.
We are a small firm devoted to a positive office culture and high-quality work on a limited number of cases. The Butler Law Firm currently has four lawyers, two paralegals, and one Labrador retriever who comes in occasionally. You can learn more about our team here. (One of our current paralegals is transitioning to an SEO-focused role, which is why we have this job opening). Our office is a pleasant and productive place to work. We like it that way, and so do our clients.
We handle cases the right way. We are not a volume practice. At any given time, we keep only a handful of cases per lawyer. Those cases tend to involve wrongful death or serious injury, and they are often more complex than two-party automobile collisions. They may involve product liability, roadway maintenance, fraud, or sexual assault. In every case, we represent the harmed person or their family.
For practices like ours, attention to detail is crucial. For instance, when we respond to discovery requests, we think about each response instead of simply copying and pasting from the last case. When it is time to take a deposition, we don’t just use the same outline we used last time. We want to keep our clients happy and maximize our client’s recovery in every case we handle.
We are pleased to be hiring another full-time paralegal. We want someone who wants to grow with us in the years to come. The person who fills this role must be motivated, smart, and pleasant to be around. The person we hire should be great at legal work, but willing to pitch in in other areas as well, such as handling intake calls, ordering office supplies, keeping a calendar, organizing lunch, or helping with other needs that arise. We want to hire the best person, not just the best resumé.
We are a hardworking firm. We believe that this position presents a great opportunity for the right person, but that person needs to have a strong work ethic and take pride in his or her professional life. It is rare for us to ask a paralegal to stay late or work on a weekend, but that does happen occasionally (usually before trial or an important deposition). We customarily invite the firm’s paralegals to attend trials, hearings, and some depositions.
- > salary commensurate with ability and experience
- > twice-annual bonuses
- > choice of two health insurance options
- > options for vision insurance, dental insurance, and HSA
- > life insurance
- > disability insurance
- > paid vacation time
- > strong organizational skills
- > two or more years legal experience
- > strong written and verbal communication skills
- > ability to think critically
- > ability to research opposing parties and witnesses
- > ability to work under occasional pressure (such as during trial)
- > attention to detail
- > self-motivated
- > proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- > professional attitude and appearance
- > keeping case files organized
- > drafting routine pleadings and correspondence
- > formatting more complex pleadings and correspondence
- > gathering exhibits for pleadings and correspondence
- > proofreading
- > checking citations
- > filing cases and following up on service
- > filing briefs and other pleadings
- > gathering medical records
- > sending open records / FOIA requests
- > scheduling depositions (including court reporters, videographers, and conference rooms)
- > calendaring deadlines and reminders
- > research into opposing parties, possible witnesses, or events in question
- > be a part of trial team
- > client contact
- > scanning and OCR’ing
- > receive and process mail and faxes
- > monitor cases and think about next steps
- > assist with client intakes
- > other administrative tasks as needed
Our office is located at 10 Lenox Pointe, Atlanta, GA, near the intersection of Georgia 400 and Interstate 85 (see map below). Our staff hours are 8:30am to 5:30pm, Monday through Friday. Our employee policy is available here.
If you are interested in joining us, we’d love to speak with you. To apply, download our Paralegal Application (which is not just a recitation of your resumé) here and complete it. (When you click on that link, the Application should be automatically downloaded and may appear at the bottom of your browser window, although you might have to disable any ad- or popup-blocker first). Then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the email, include 1-2 sentences that tell us the single most important thing we should know about you. Attach to that email:
- > your resumé,
- > any references (preferred but not required),
- > a short writing sample (which can be something you’ve already written), and
- > your completed Application.
We’ll then get back to you and, if appropriate, schedule an interview. We look forward to hearing from you!